I am going to start this blog with some interesting and potentially surprising facts and then a personal story about how digestive health can affect symptoms that would seemingly appear unrelated.
- 2 million people were diagnosed with a digestive disorder in 2009.
- 1/3 of the UK’s population regularly suffers from digestive illness such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), constipation, diarrhoea, stomach aches and nausea.
- In 2005/2006 over 3.7 million operations were carried out on parts of the digestive system.
- 42% of people suffering from digestive problems turn to sources other than their GP for help.
- 15% of Death in the UK is linked to digestive health.
- Cancers of the digestive tract account for 23% of cancer deaths.
Hippocrates once stated that “bad digestion is the root of all evil”, and many naturopathic Doctors state that “life and death begins in the gut”. I have first hand experienced what an unknown digestive dysfunction can cause.