Roast Butternut and Chickpea Tagine Recipe
Roast Butternut & Chickpea Tagine Recipe
For anyone loving plant based meals this is a high carb yummy dish. If you have never tried bulgar wheat then this is a great dish to try out.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 200ml water
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 medium courgette, ends removed, chopped into 1cm chunks
- 80g flaked almonds
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 220’C. Remove the stem on the butternut squash and peel, halve lengthways, remove the seeds and cut into 1cm cubes. Pop 1 tsp coconut oil on a baking tray and melt in the oven and then add the butternut squash. Roast until tender and crispy on the outside (around 30-35 minutes).
- Boil the water in a pan on medium-high heat and add the bulgar wheat and bring back to the boil. Cover with a lid and remove the pan from the heat completely and set aside.
- Mix together the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric in a small bowl.
- Dry fry the courgette in a frying pan on medium-high heat until slightly browned (5-6 minutes), Turn the heat down to medium and add 1 tsp coconut oil and add the spice mix and flaked almonds and stir together for 1 minute more. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and chickpeas and mix well and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for around 10 minutes until thick (you can add a splash of water if going too dry). Once the squash is cooked add to the tagine pan and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once everything is ready fluff up the bulgar wheat with a fork and stir in half the parsley and coriander. Divide the bulgar wheat between 4 plates and serve the tagine on top and top that with 1 tbsp of coconut yoghurt. Sprinkle over the remaining herbs and enjoy!
- Kcal: 502
- Protein: 16.8g
- Fats: 18.2g
- Carbs: 60.4g
- Fibre: 13.6g